Bochum is located within the famous "Ruhr Area", Germany's former primary location for coal mining and steel industry. Although most coal mines have been closed, the hidden beauty of these old days has been preserved in many places.
Things to see in Bochum
- Little walk: Botanical Garden is located south of the Ruhr-University Bochum and shows a great variety of plants from all over the world. You can reach it in 5-10 minutes from the conference venue
- Socializing: The Bermudadreieck (Bermuda triangle) is a square in the center of Bochum literally crowded with theme bars and restaurants
- Mining history: The Deutsches Bergbau-Museum of Bochum is one of Germany's most popular museums and well known for its wide spread underground mine shaft
Things to see near Bochum
- Medieval architecture: The city of Hattingen is a neighbor city of Bochum and has one of the most beautiful historical districts in the NRW area including many points of interests.
- Elaborate Digging: In the city of Essen (also a neighbor city of Bochum) is the Zollverein Coal Mine Industrial Complex. It is part of the UNESCO World Heritage Site and titled the "most beautiful coal mine in the world"